A Woman Paralyzed After Eating A Can Of Soup!

A Woman Paralyzed After Eating A Can Of Soup!

A young woman in Colorado was paralyzed after eating nothing but a can of soup. Claudia de Albuquerque Celada, 23, was in Aspen for a work exchange when she began feeling dizzy, had double vision, and struggled to breathe.

The infection was caused by botulism, which comes from eating food contaminated with a specific bacteria. Botulism often happens when food isn’t canned properly, especially in homemade canning. Let’s have a closer look at this tragic incident that happened in Colorado.

Family Shares Harrowing Journey

Claudia’s sister, Luisa Albuquerque, shared on Instagram that Claudia had moved to Colorado for her dream job but fell ill about 15 days after consuming a soup bought from a major store. Luisa recounted how Claudia’s condition rapidly deteriorated, with symptoms like shortness of breath and blurred vision. Despite her friends’ delayed response to her distress call, Claudia’s family managed to reach her within a week. She was diagnosed with botulism on March 1.

Tests on soup samples from the store showed no signs of botulism. Officials think that maybe how Claudia stored or cooked the soup caused the problem.

Food Safety Reminder: Understanding Botulism and Prevention

It’s thought that Ms. Albuquerque Celada might not have kept her soup cold enough, heated it thoroughly, or stored leftovers properly. Health officials are reminding people to handle food carefully.

They advise keeping soup and other perishables cold, heating food completely, and not leaving it out too long. Botulism bacteria are commonly found in soil and ocean floors and can stick to food surfaces.

While usually harmless, certain conditions can make these bacteria release toxins that can harm the nervous system. Proper heating, handling, and storage can prevent this. but botulism is rare, with only about 25 cases reported in the US each year.

Image source: Daily Mail

However, the Centre for Disease Control and Prevention ( CDC) has stated that the chances of surviving botulism have greatly improved. In the past, around 50 out of every 100 people with botulism died, but today, fewer than 5 out of every 100 succumb to the illness. Survivors may experience fatigue and shortness of breath for years and might require long-term therapy for recovery.

Also read,

Similar Posts