Have you ever wondered if a place where people don’t have guns would be safer? It’s a big question that adults argue about a lot. Some say that if there are no guns, there will be less crime and people will feel more secure. Others think that without guns, people won’t be able to protect themselves and bad guys might take advantage of that. In this article, we’ll explore the idea of a gun-free state and try to understand why some people think it would make them feel safer, while others disagree.
So recently Redditor ask in public, ?Would you feel safer in a gun-free state? Why or why not??
Here is what the Reddit community thought about it.
In this article, we have listed the most upvoted comments received for the above question on the AskReddit thread.
1.I’m from Switzerland and we have a lot of guns. They have a much different status than in the US. Most people have served in the army and know that they aren’t a toy or something to show off but a deadly weapon that needs to be treated with respect. Switzerland is very safe and I feel safe there too. I moved to Austria where guns aren’t as prevalent (but still exist). I don’t feel a difference. In the US it’s not the existence of guns that would scare me but the huge amount of maniacs who are ready to shoot anyone before asking questions.
2. I live in Iceland, I’m more likely to win the lottery than run into someone with a gun. I feel very safe, but not because there is no guns, mainly because… I’m in Iceland.
3. I live in Japan, basically gun free. Even with a gun murder yesterday I feel greatly safe from gun violence. Now the elder drivers swerving into lanes randomly not so safe.
4. Here in Ireland, our regular Police (Garda?) don’t even carry guns (there are armed units). Guns exist, hunting is a sport and farmers might have them for rabbits etc. I feel extremely safe. I don’t ever even think about gun violence here.
5. I moved to Germany from the U.S. and I don’t just feel safer. I am safer in literally every sense. The chances of me or my family being the victims of violent crime are much lower.
6. I live in Taiwan. It has exceedingly strict gun laws. It’s also one of the safest countries in the world in terms of risk of violent crime. I feel very safe even walking alone at night through dark alleys in the city.
7. I live in Australia. We are not gun-free, but we are low-guns. I feel safe.
There were even more super interesting answers that made everyone really excited!